With Your Support...in 2021 We PLAY ON!
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Axelrod in the spring, in a safe and comfortable environment. While many factors affect our reopening, the safety of our patrons, artists and staff will remain our first priority.
"If Music Be the Food of Love, PLAY ON!" - William Shakespeare
How ironic that music-making was not deemed an “essential service,” when all of us retreated to our homes and sought out music, film, theater and other forms of entertainment daily to nourish our souls and keep our minds active and sane. The arts aren’t unique in suffering through the COVID-19 pandemic, but they may be the worst victims. Our beautiful theater in Deal Park remains dark, though the staff and many artists have become beacons of light for our community.The Axelrod Performing Arts Center remains active, providing educational programming for our youth, online entertainment for our patrons, and financial support for various charities in the region.
The Axelrod Performing Arts Center is thrilled to welcome back the three female stars of last season’s production of MAMMA MIA! for a “Dynamos” Reunion for a LIVE outdoor performance on Sunday, October 18* at 3 PM, at Bell Works, Holmdel.
These three Broadway babies have been working professionally for the past two decades. Michelle Millardi debuted on Broadway as Belle in Beauty and the Beast. Doreen Montalvo, currently with the cast of Mrs. Doubtfire, was a member of the original company of In the Heights and Heather Jane Rolff debuted on Broadway in Shrek The Musical. Join us for an exciting afternoon of ABBA, pop/rock, Broadway and more, accompanied by a live band under the music direction of Andrew David Sotomayor.
A variety of delicious appetizers and wine/beer are included.
WHAT THE AXELROD HAS ACCOMPLISHED SINCE THE PANDEMIC
• The Axelrod hosted fundraisers to support Fulfill to feed the hungry in Monmouth and Ocean Counties, The Loveland Foundation to support women and girls of color, and Encircle to support LGBTQ youth.
• We inaugurated The NJ High School AXE Awards to provide recognition and scholarships for six high students in Monmouth, Ocean and Middlesex Counties; over 100 students entered the competition.
• Our in-house professional ballet company, The Axelrod Contemporary Ballet Theater, offered free virtual dance classes to over 300 students for two months.
• We established the Axelrod Performing Arts Academy in conjunction with Bell Works in Holmdel, offering dozens of students live and virtual instruction from 40 professional artists, including Tony Award winners, lead dancers from major dance companies and film stars. Scholarships were made available for students who demonstrated need.
• The Anne & Sheldon Vogel Virtual Concert Series offered six free live-streamed concerts to our patrons, featuring Tony-nominated stars, American Idol celebrities and other artists.
• The Axelrod Israel Jewish Film Festival provided a six-week-long world-class film event including Zoom talkbacks with international filmmakers.
We hope that you’ll join us for our live Gala concert “Here We Go Again” in October* by renewing Membership or becoming a Member! Please review the giving opportunities below…and help the Axelrod PLAY ON! in 2021 and beyond.
With thanks and hope for a bright future for the arts,
Jess Levy, CEO • Dr. Art Topilow, Board President • Andrew DePrisco, Artistic Director